Many netbooks and low-profile laptops are ditching the optical drive in favor of portability, which means that installing Windows 8 via a burned DVD is inconvenient at best. Luckily you can easily do it with an 8GB or larger USB stick.
- Download the USB creator from the Microsoft Store
- Pick your version of windows, 64, or 32 bit from Microsoft's Site
- Be sure to grab the product key from the same page
- Format your USB device to FAT32 (be sure you have at least 5 gigs free)
- Install and launch the USB creator
- Browse to the downloaded Win8.iso file, pick your USB device from the list and click start.
For a more in depth how to Ghacks have a good tutorial. The entire process should take 20 min, depending on your internet speed.